Chapter 5.2 Desktop Icons¶
The icons on your desktop can be moved by left clicking, holding and dragging the desktop icon to the position you want it. Shortcuts or desktop entry files can be opened by double click on the icon. If you want to view or edit a desktop file say for launching an application is to right click on the icon open with and select say a text editor like featherpad to open file. If you move a desktop icon and then want to move it back right click and uncheck.
Adding and removing items from the desktop¶
- Shortcuts can be copied to the desktop by dragging and dropping them from the application menu.
- You can also create shortcuts by dragging and dropping files and folders from the File manager onto the desktop.
- To rename a file on the desktop right click on the icon .
- To open the properties of a file or icon on your desktop right click the icon .
- You can create files on your desktop by saving them in the desktop directory in your home folder.
To remove a desktop icon right click on the file and click.
To edit a desktop entry including those on your menu you will need to open the .desktop entry in featherpad or the text editor of your choice you can also on desktop icons right click on the icon and. To launch a program with an option simply add that option to the line that starts with Exec=. To change what the name of the desktop file shows up as on the desktop and in file manger change the entry line that starts with Name=. To change the icon to that used by something else change the line starting with Icon=.
To create your own desktop file you will need to have certain required key value pairs in your file
one thing you will need on the first line is
If you read to the next required key you will need is a type of each action
The next required field for creating your own desktop file is a name key which you will need a line starting with
If you want your desktop icon to run a program you will need a line that has